The Game Changers Podcast S3 Ep 1
The new series of The Game Changers launches today with football legend Kelly Smith.
Kelly is widely regarded as one of world’s greatest-ever female players. She scored a record 46 goals for England in 117 internationals before retiring in 2015 after a 20-year career.
Playing for Arsenal, Kelly won the League title six times and the FA Cup five times. She played in four European Championships and two World Cups and represented Team GB at the London 2012 Olympics. Kelly also had a career in the US, and in 2008 was awarded an MBE for her services to women’s football.
Kelly talks openly about how tough it was playing football as youngster and being kicked off two teams for being a girl, how England is the best place for any young woman wanting to play professional football today, and why she feels it’s so important to share her past struggles with alcohol in order to encourage others to talk more openly about mental health.
You can hear Kelly’s inspiring and moving interview here.
I’m so grateful to Barclays for supporting this series of The Game Changers which features eight ‘fearless women in football’, reinforcing Barclays’ huge support for the beautiful game.
My other trailblazing guests include:
• Jacqui Oatley MBE – leading sports broadcaster and the first woman to commentate on BBC’s Match of the Day
• Dame Sue Campbell – Former Chair of UK Sport and now Director of Women’s Football at The FA
• Jo Tongue – Football agent, Director of Women in Football and a tireless campaigner for equality in sport and the media
• Maggie Murphy – General Manager at Lewes FC Women, the first football club in the world to pay its male and female players equally
• Casey Stoney MBE – Former England captain with over 100 caps, now Manager of Manchester Utd Women
• Kelly Simmons MBE – Director of the Women’s Professional Game at The FA
• Hope Powell CBE – Trailblazing former England Women’s Football manager and the first woman to be awarded a UEFA Pro License
You can listen to the trailer for series 3 here.
Find out more about all the guests here
And finally, if you enjoy The Game Changers, please take a moment to rate and review the podcasts and tell your friends, family and colleagues about them too. You can also get in touch and recommend future guests on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook.
Thank you so much for listening and thanks to Kelly for taking the time from to talk to me and share her fascinating story.
I do hope you enjoy the podcasts.
Sue Anstiss MBE
CEO, Promote PR and host of The Game Changers podcast