I've started so I'll finish... - Jack Buckner
1. What’s the best bit of business advice you’ve ever been given?
When I was working at adidas – I had a “big job” but there were always annoying issues with shoe samples arriving on time. I had to go over and check them individually. Someone told me “in every job however important you sometimes have to sweep the floor.” It continually reminds me to engage with the business I am responsible for and keep close to the front line of delivery – whatever or wherever that is
2. What did you want to be when you were growing up?
Olympic champion at either 1500m or 5000m
3. What’s your proudest sporting achievement?
Winning the European Championship 5000m in 1986 – my championship record of 13.10 has lasted 33 years and still counting…
4. What will be the biggest development in the sport/fitness industry in the next 5 years?
Big question – in the area where I work – Olympic and Paralympic sport – the blurring of lines between sport and entertainment and how that plays out for traditional sport is very important to me
5. Where will we find you on social media?
6. Tell us something we would never guess about you?
I am a Trustee of the National Forest – and as passionate about the environment as sport. We are going to launch an amazing new event early in 2020 and I can’t wait
7. Are you more fit or less fit than you were 10 years ago?
Less fit sadly
8. You’re on a desert island and can take a book, film and box set. What would they be?
I love reading so would want lots of books and films and no box sets. Books would include the 12 book sequence “Dance to the Music of Time” by Anthony Powell and as many others as I was allowed. Film would be Local Hero
9. Which traditional media do you regularly consume?
Newspapers – Guardian, Observer and Independent, like to check in on Athletics Weekly
10. How would people describe you in three words?
Energetic, enthusiastic, impatient