Sue was very pleased to be invited to attend the Sport and Recreation Alliance's Community Sport and Recreation Awards at St. James's Palace yesterday. Hosted by the Alliance?s President HRH the Earl of Wessex, the event provides a great opportunity to celebrate sport (and network with lots of key players!)
This year there were six categories of awards and the winners were:
- Community Sport and Recreation Overall Winner , Irvine Bay Gymnastics Club
- Volunteer Management , Retford Swimming Club
- School Links , Empire Fighting Chance
- Professional Club Community Programme of the Year Award , Derby County Football Club
- Green Thinking , The Castle Climbing Centre
- InnovativeProject Award , North East Regional Fencing's Street Swords programme.
Dame Tanni Grey-Thompson also received the prestigious Arthur Bell trophy for her contribution to grassroots sport.
Tanni gave a moving speech thanking the countless volunteers in sport. She shared the advice she'd been given by her father: 'If you want to be good, get good people around you' and talked about her new role as taxi service, cake maker and sports volunteer for her daughter Carys who takes part in competitive Kayaking.
One quote from Tanni that particularly resonated with Sue:
'If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together'